Sunday, April 11, 2010

'The Sorceress'


Well now… this was an interesting read from Allison. If you are not into sorcery, dark realms, winged creatures, goddesses, and things of that nature; then you probably won’t enjoy this book. ‘The Sorceress’ still has the aberrant sexuality, the insane storyline, the grime, and the “meanness” that I’ve come to love from Allison. But if you aren’t into the black magic genre then this book will be challenge to finish. I finished it and I can’t stand the evil, black magic stuff. I can, however, stand one of my favorite author’s and her work. But for the life of me I can’t figure out how she comes up with characters that are so incredibly evil and… MEAN! And so stupid. Eris was… a mess. The things she does in the Dark Realms will literally turn your stomach! The things she does and allows others to do in the Earth Realm will almost force you stop reading for a minute because you can’t imagine ANYTHING so detached from evil. I know I keep using the word ‘evil’ but that’s because I can’t think of anything else to put in its place.

And since we love to put labels on everything; IE: Zane is the queen of erotica, Stephen King is the master of horror, Paris Hilton is the duchess of skank, Kendra is the sultan of stupid, Zoe Saldana the president of the “damn she’s fine committee”. Stuff like that. Well, Allison would have to be the Empress of Shock! You almost need a bib when you read her books because you read the freaking things with your mouth hanging open. This one is no different. There is one scene in this book that I CAN NOT get out of my head. Don’t worry I’m not going to spoil it for you, just remember the name Boozer. What he does is so horrific that your body will cringe and try to hide within itself. And we get to witness his savagery. Twice.

This is Allison’s usual non-stop, brutal, spectacular storytelling with a supernatural twist. I highly recommend that you read ‘The Enchantress first to get caught up with everything and to learn (somewhat) why Eris is so, so, so, so, so, mean and 100% evil. Stephen King wrote a book called ‘On Writing’ a while back. In it he gave us background into the writing of some of his novels. An utterly fascinating read! I can only hope that one day Allison decides to do the same because I have to know what the hell is the inspiration behind some of these books. Heck, maybe I don’t want to know. Maybe I don’t want to hear about the pain, the hurt. I don’t want to hear about the sad teenage years or painful childhood. I don’t want to imagine the tears running down her check. Or her hiding in her closet when she hears certain voices. I don’t… oh who am I kidding!?! Yeah I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment