Sunday, May 23, 2010

'Accused' by Mark Gimenez


Amazon Kindle - $259
Apple iPad - $499
Getting a book from the author himself – Priceless

Mark has published five books; I have only purchased the first two. The others have been sent to me by Mark himself. I’m not saying that to brag, only to show you how much this author appreciates this one lone reader. I’m sure this is NOT typical because author’s make their living selling books, not giving them away. But as the manager of a bookstore, there are few authors who I excitedly recommend as much as Mr. Gimenez. And what makes it even easier is the fact that Mark has a storytelling talent that should be the envy of new authors, current authors, and one-foot-in-the-grave authors.

‘The Accused’ is pure Gimenez talent throughout. At just over 400 pages it’s hefty enough to get lost in but small enough to finish in one sitting. Although, I haven’t finished a book in one sitting in YEARS, but that’s just because I have issues. (My doctor’s words, not mine). Mark takes us back to his first book, ‘The Color Law’, with this one and we become friends once again with Scott and his buddies. In ‘Accused’ Scott voluntarily takes an emotionally draining case. He must defend his wife (ex-wife) for murder. The person she’s accused of murdering? The man she left Scott for!! Let’s see… in how many languages can I say “awww hell no”!!!! Despite my strong feelings Scott goes on to defend her anyway. The story turns out to be nothing short of fascinating with enough twists to make Lombard Street sick.

But the parts of this book that had me rereading passages were the interaction between the friends. I love reading books about friendship and loyalty and how the bond grows stronger DESPITE the trials. This is such a book and theirs is such a friendship. And they’ll need it. Scott will need it. Defending your wife (ex-wife) from murder you’re bound to find out all kinds of filthy secrets, and Scott does. There is so much story here, but you’ll appreciate every single bit of it. You’ll fall in love with Boo and Pajamae. You’ll have mixed feeling about Rebecca, and you’ll wonder what in the world could have possessed Scott to take on such a case. Then you find out. You’ll wonder if you could ever love someone that much. You’ll wonder if someone could ever love you like that.

The last thing I want to mention is the humor. It’s sprinkled all in this book, kinda like cherries in cherry-vanilla ice cream. Only with this type of cherry-vanilla ice cream you can never get your fill. More than a few times you will find yourself holding your sides and wiping away happy tears. I would say that I love this book, but I’m sure you figured that out already. Mark makes reading fun and bookselling fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment