Monday, July 12, 2010


Is there such a thing as intellectually crude humor? There must be because how else could you explain this book? I read this book based on a tip from some friends who live in So-Cal. And you really can’t go wrong with book recommends from buddies who live in So-Cal. Up till this book I hadn’t read anything by Mr. Winslow so I went in with my mind wide open. Which was a good idea because I needed all the cerebral space for every little bit of everything this book had to offer.

The last time I tried this I got a nosebleed but I’m feeling lucky. So here goes... Mexican drug lords want to take over the booming, exotic weed trade from a pair of hard working yet laid back dudes. These dudes (Ben & Chon) share a bed partner whose name is Ophelia. Ophelia, or “O”, is known for being quirky and having the most earth shattering orgasms known to man or Brazilian gods. Ben & Chon are the Yin and Yang to each other and opposite in almost every way, sans one. Don’t mess with their weed. Period. The Mexican drug lords not only ignore this one simple rule, they compound their idiocy with blackmail. Even Forrest Gump wasn’t that stupid. The Texas Chainsaw Mexicans send Ben & Chon a pretty gruesome message via Skype. Who said low-life drug dealers can’t be techno-geeks?

Ben & Chon… well… they comply. But HOW the comply is what makes this story total badass! ‘Savages’ is a mind trip mix of Zen, fiction, Woodstock, Cytherea on “e”, prose, violence, and one heck of an startling ending. I never ever, ever, ever, ever saw that one coming. What really had me going with this book were the blatant violence and the genius blending of uncontrived intellect and gutter humor. 100% pure Middle East Opium blend of sharp, pungent wit. Sum this up in one word? Decadently indecent.

9781439183366

No comments:

Post a Comment