Saturday, October 2, 2010

OPERATION RUBICONREADER


“… we need something here to read…” “Those books would definitely be a breath of fresh air…” What you just read are two snippets of a conversation I had with a friend of mine who is a soldier stationed in Afghanistan. His basic underlying beef was that they do not have anything to read. What the hell? They’re fighting to keep us safe and they can’t relax with a good book? Talk about un-American! So I got to thinking that I’m in the PERFECT position to help my boy out. Thus OPERATION: RUBICONREADER was born.

Here’s the deal. (At least) Once a month starting this Friday, October 8, 2010, I will mail a box of books to Chris and his soldier friends. It will be a mix of every genre under the sun. Except Romance. They’re already in hell, why make it worse. I’m asking for your help in sending our troops books. Here are a few ways for you to help:

1. Purchase the books from my store, Russo’s Books, and I will give you a 25% discount on the books and I will pay for the shipping.
2. Purchase the books yourself, ship them to me and I will mail them off.
3. If you are an author and would like to help, I welcome, and am very grateful for any of your books you would like to donate.

If you choose to help, I do ask that you purchase NEW books for our soldiers. There is something psychological about receiving something new from a stranger and I do not, nor will I, let this turn into a “a dump for my old books”. YES, I know our soldiers would appreciate any literature sent to them, but I am sticking by my plea to buy them a new book. Please.

This is a personal mission. Russo’s Books has nothing to do with this other than being a kick-ass independent bookstore that supports her employees, her community, and our soldiers. If you have any questions please direct them to rubiconreader@gmail.com and I will be glad to answer any concerns you have. Let’s make this fun, let’s make this great, and let’s corrupt the Middle East with TONS of Western Literature!

Jason Frost
rubiconreader@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment