Monday, December 20, 2010

Jason's Top 10 Books of 2010



1.Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth (9780399156359).
I read this book in April and it has maintained its #1 status ever since. Bloody action, dark humor, and some extremely intriguing historical-fiction make this book an easy pick for #1.


2. 'Tempted by Trouble' by Eric Jerome Dickey (9780525950585)
Eric Jerome Dickey just cannot do wrong. Everything this man writes is just pure. This man’s fierce intelligence is complimented perfectly with his unnatural talent to tell a story. He takes a break from his phenomenal Gideon series to write a story about a tormented man named Dmytryk, an earth-bound devil named Eddie Coyle, and the forced tango these two are forced to dance. There are very few authors like Eric Jerome. And by “few” I mean one.

3. ‘American Assassin’ by Vince Flynn (9781416595182).
Mitch Rapp has been around since 1999 taking care of the burrs in our collective asses called terrorists. But how does one become a terrorist killer? What kind of person does it take to become the type of person to RUN towards an impossible mission? Is that person born or made? If you’ve been reading Vince Flynn’s books for as long as I have then you want answers! ‘American Assassin’ does a superb job in showing us how Mitch Rapp became Mitch Rapp. If you believe that terrorist are born and bred to kill, then you better believe the same of their nemesis.

4. ‘Making The Hook-Up’ by Cole Riley (9781573443838).
If you know me, you know I love my erotica, and erotic short stories are like the hot oil to my massage. Short, hot stories that you can read anywhere, anytime to bring a little spice to a boring ass day. This was the best erotic collection I have read this year. One of the reasons I loved it so was because each story was different and each story was excruciatingly erotic. While they stood out for that very reason, the fact that there was an actual STORY behind them made them even that more tantalizing.

5. ‘Savages’ by Don Winslow (9781439183366)
First book I’ve read by Mr. Wilson and what a damn good one it was. The humor was dark, the action was brutal, the woman was defective yet perfect, the writing was untouchable, and Ben and Chon are two characters you won’t soon forget.

6. ‘Deliver Us From Evil’ by David Baldacci (9780446564083)
A very brutal book by Mr. Baldacci. But what still stands out to me (still!) to this day is the violent and descriptive torture. Revenge is the name of the game in this book and the hunted party is the Nazis. This one group hunts down these idiots and then forces them to watch their past atrocities before they are killed. (Works for me). Unfortunately, even the best laid plans are never perfect…

7. ‘Grim Reaper’ by Steve Alten (9781935142164)
The best end-of-the-world-epic I’ve read in the past few years. I actually put this one on my Top 20 of my favorite books ever. Think of ‘The Stand’ meets ‘Dante’s Inferno’ meets snippets of the ‘911 Commission Report’. Steve Alten is an author of rare form that, like Eric Jerome Dickey, has that born talent to just KNOW how to tell a good story.

8. ‘Last Days of Ptolemy Grey’ by Walter Mosley (9781594487729)
What more can I say about Walter Mosley? This man is a walking, talking, writing living literary legend. The publishing world, as well as we readers need to show this man some more damn respect. You’ve heard the cliché that “this author is so good he could write the phone book and make it a bestseller”? Mosley’s writing will make you want to read the phonebook’s sequel.

9. ‘The Confession’ by John Grisham (9780385528047)
I read this entire book mad! Mad that there are still some areas in this country where your social class determines your level of justice. Mad that there are law enforcement officials who could give a hairy rat’s ass about the truth. Mad that innocence is more often believed if not wrapped in dark skin. Mad that this is still happening. Grisham delivers one of his BEST. Period.

10. ‘The Hot Box’ by Zane (9780743499279)
Zane is another one of my just-can’t-miss-authors. I know when I pick up a Zane novel I won’t put it down unless 1. Meagan Good slaps it out of my hands. 2. Zoe Saldana slaps it out of my hands. 3. Toni Braxton slaps it out of my hands, Meagan picks it up, gives it to Zoe… and Zoe reads it to all three of us. Naked. In a hot tub. Hey don’t blame me. Zane’s books are the reason my fantasies are what they are. Yours can be too.


Other books I read in 2010 that you shouldn’t miss:

'Six Graves to Munich' by Mario Puzo - 9780451230591
'Blue-Eyed Devil’ by Robert B. Parker - 9780399156489
'Accused' by Mark Gimenez - 9781847442765
'Lipstick Hustla' by Allison Hobbs - 9781593092825
'Welfare Wifeys' by K'wan - 9780312536978
'The Eagle's Conquest' by Simon Scarrow9780312305345
‘Fast Girls’ by Rachel Kramer Bussel - 9781573443845
If you would like a list (and ratings) of ALL the books I read in 2010, just drop me an e-mail at rubiconreader@gmail.com. Here's to an exciting 2011!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your top books of 2010. There was only 1 that I had on my to read list, so I added all the rest. I would love to see your books read in 2010 and ratings. I will e-mail you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have Lipstick Hustla at home that I haven't read yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list - have added a few to my 2011 - to be read list.

    ReplyDelete