Friday, December 10, 2010

'Rogue Wave' by Boyd Morrison


First: believe everything you’ve hear about how incredibly fast this book is. Second: believe everything you’ve hear about how incredibly fast this book is. There are some books that are fast reads; ‘Rogue Wave’ will make you read fast! It literally drags you from page to page because it’s that type of non-stop action reading. I literally had to physically slow down because I was moving so fast. This book deserves 100% of all the over the top praise it is getting. I was wondering myself what in the world could have caused such a wave, and when I found out... man!

The beginning was full throttle as Kai (love that name) has to determine if there is a tsunami, how powerful it is if there indeed is one, and do they need to evacuate. I laughed at the politics and how, no matter WHAT the emergency, politicians have to bear their 9-headed Hydra. Always and forever I guess. My only beef came near the late-middle of the book. I love disaster/annihilation novels, always have. What drives me crazy are the stupid heroics of the people in them. I know, I know, I know I’m Mr. Heartless.  But I found that in this book, it drove me bonkers because it was one right after the other after the other after the other! I mean come on! All jokes aside, it did seem like a bit much for the “I’m going to save her/him”, or “what was that noise, I need to save someone else”. Either heed the warning or die idiots.

So that was a slight hiccup for me. The ending however… thrillers aren’t supposed to be emotional right? Can we agree on that? I mean emotions are for books like ‘Lovely Bones’, ‘Flowers for Algernon’, any boring book that Oprah picks, or book #7 in the ‘Dark Tower’ series. Not a book about a freaking killer wave. Apparently Boyd missed a board meeting because he damn sure didn’t get that memo. Two huge things happened that caught me totally unawares and left me and my heart considering a lawsuit. Simply put, I loved this book. Get one for yourself, get one for your friend, get one for your enemy, get one for your wife, get one for your weekend girlfriend, and throw one in every stocking of your book lover friends this Christmas. An incredible sophomore (I think) book by Mr. Morrison.

9781439189580

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds good and you did a great review. I need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete