Monday, February 7, 2011

'The Eagle in the Sand' by Simon Scarrow


I’ve only written a review for a few of Scarrow’s books because I’ve been too busy enjoying this series. I decided to write one for ‘Eagle in the Sand’ for one reason and one reason only. Jehoshua. I’m not a scholar by any stretch so I didn’t quickly pick up on who Jehoshua was. There were clues throughout the book, including his mother’s name, Miriam. The clues, however, were written few and far between so you don’t (at least I didn’t) put them together until the “big one”; the revealing of the third friend of Bannus and Symeon. Yeah I read how some people were offended that Simon used his creative license to tell this story but, who cares? I don’t understand people like that. I know what I believe and no author is going to change my mind no matter what he writes. Are these people so easily swayed in their convictions? Can they not see through that fact that this is “just a story”? But again, who cares? If the y want to waste their life debating issues in a fictional novel… then let ‘em. On to the story…

Macro and Cato have finally been sent East, but not where Macro would have liked. They are sent to Bushir by their friendly enemy, Narcissus, in order to find out what is going on in the Eastern Provence. They show up and immediately get into the type of trouble like only these two can. Yep, even Cato. Having been in the legion four years and under the tutelage of Macro would beat the softness out of anyone. The action is fast, the grating politics are all too familiar, the blood flows, and the friendship grows. It seems that Rome for all its glory has a hard time not with the huge nations, but rather with the smaller factions. Such is the case in this novel.

Cato and Macro are knee deep in sand and knee deep in people who just can’t get it through their thick skull that being under the rule of Rome is just better for everyone. A small faction is rising and it is up to Macro and Cato to put a stop to it. In order to do that they must take charge of a Roman outpost whose soldiers have grown soft and whose leaders are blinded by greed. Our two buddies are given orders to take command and wipe these desert savages out. Of course nothing goes as it should. Nothing. Simon Scarrow continues his brilliant storytelling in part 7 of this… this… deliciously good series. I started this series “late” but I’m slowly catching up and I don’t know what I’m going to do when I have to actually wait for the latest book to be released. One more thing: In the “truth is stranger (and more interesting) than fiction” category, I was in awe that Mr. Scarrow was freaking INVITED to Egypt by King Abdullah because he enjoyed reading this Eagle series. Nice to know people huh?

9780755350018

No comments:

Post a Comment