Monday, August 22, 2011

'Hero of Rome' by Douglas Jackson


This is my third Douglas Jackson book.  Doesn’t sound like a big deal… until I tell you that I’ve read his books almost back-to-back-to-back.  And would have read the next one except it has yet to be released.  (On a side note, I just checked Amazon tonight and the Kindle e-book version IS available now, HA!).  You need not have read ‘Caligula’ or ‘Claudius’ in order to enjoy ‘Hero of Rome’, but it was a nice surprise to see mentions of the previous two sprinkled in this one.  It was like finding a golden nugget in an already full pot of gold. 

I was enjoying this book from jump street but I REALLY got into it at the end.  Oh yeah… if you love Roman battles then you’ll love the one in here.  How they get to that point is fascinating but the ending is ‘bloody’ awesome.  As others have stated, we get to read about Rome’s favorite Celtic bitch, Boudicca.  The stunning red head with the temper and means to shove a good one straight up Rome’s arse. 

Gaius Valerius Verrens is the main character in this one, however, I must say that my favorite was Crespo.  Now once you read it you’ll wonder what kind of medication I’m on because Crespo is just bad news.  No wait… he’s the bad news that bad news reads while waiting on bad news.  He does things in this story that would make Satan blush, but I liked him because of that very reason.

This is a great Rome book through and through.  From the legionaries, to the prissy Tribunes, to the gore/blood/bone, to the endless paradox of her politics and allies; ‘Hero of Rome’ is what you look for in a historical-fiction story.  To say I’m looking forward to reading ‘Defender of Rome’ would be the dumbest understatement of the year, so I won’t say it.  Sed pro Romanis.

9780593065129

No comments:

Post a Comment