Thursday, September 29, 2011

'The Cartel 2' by Ashley & JaQuavis


*SPOILERS*  I thought about trying to sum up my feelings about this book without spoiling it, but I can’t.  So if you read beyond here and you haven’t read this book yet, it’s your fault.

Unless you’ve been under a rock (or living in Adell, WI) you know how much of a fan of ‘The Cartel, Pt.1 I was).  With this one, not so much.  Not sure how to explain it because all of the dirt, grime, murder, and sexual assault was in this one, but it had a different… feel.  I couldn’t figure out until I reached the end.  Then I was like WHAT. THA. F*CK.!  There are times where endings like this work, but it most certainly didn’t this time.  I think the best way to sum up my feelings about this ending was… hmmmmmm… cheated, robbed, misled.

But let me back up for a minute:  ‘The Cartel 2’ picks up exactly where ‘The Cartel’ left off.  Miamor is being held captive my Mecca and THIS brotha’ is living out his Taliban torture fantasy.  Unfortunately, Miamor is the unwilling participant in this murderous nightmare.  One of the things I do like about Ashley and JaQuavis is their need to NOT shy away from the brutality of the story they tell.  Be warned that you will cringe… and it will not be the only time.  Trust me. 

‘The Cartel’ is a far cry from what it once was and Young Carter is trying his best to keep the family and the business together.  We start to see how the ‘Murder Mama’ came to be and all of the intertwining stories that keep you wondering who will be killed, who will do the killing, and who will be the next rape.  I told you this story is brutal.  I had to cringe through the part with the stepfather.  Oh my goodness!  Whoever wrote that part had to have nightmares for days!  Why?  Because of how they wrote it.  It’s hurts to read it.  It’s painful to imagine it.

Ma’tee, the insane Haitian plays his part in the decimation of the family, and of Breeze.  And once again Ashley & Jaquavis prove that no one is invulnerable in their books.  What really pissed me off was the ending.  I’ve been reading books since the womb (not really) and I haven’t felt this gyped in a LONG, LONG time.  The first thing that popped into my head was that series ‘Lost’.  They did something like this and pissed off an entire nation!  Why, why, why, why, would you do the stupid dream sequence?  I truly felt like I wasted my time reading this story seeing as it never happened!  I could have just skipped straight to book 3.  There are times where the dream sequence works but it must be done in a way that doesn’t make the reader feel bitter once it has been revealed. 

Will I read part 3?  Yeah.  But the fire that I had has been diminished a bit because of how this one ended.

9781601622563

3 comments:

  1. Was'nt that a TRIPP!! But that is just like them. Damn!! you bringing bout those memories when i got to the end. lol. read Supreme Clientele when you get time. I think thats the book that SET IT OFF for them as a world reknown authors. oh, you shall get over the anger, they

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3- Carter, right or wrong, you tell me. Mecca. the grandfather, hmmmmm. the woman that born the grandson, hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ? I hope you didn't tell me what was in 'The Carter 3'.

    ReplyDelete