Tuesday, December 13, 2011

'The Catalyst' by Boyd Morrison


Man.  Boyd has that skill to turn the “this silly scientific hypothesis is absurd” into “wow; this silly scientific hypothesis actually might work”.  I felt that way when I read ‘The Vault’ and I felt that way when I read this book.  An artificial way to make diamonds?  Flawless diamonds?  And then make products out of diamonds?  Sssssuuurrree Boyd, hey by the way, where is that bridge you were going to sell me?  One of the best things I like about Boyd is the fact that he writes books that I want to read!  (A little personal story if you will); Last week, for the first time in my adult life, I missed work for two days straight.  Why?  Hell, I don’t know.  All I know is that I spent more time in front of the toilet than I did my kids.  My stomach and chest still hurt from all the heaving I was doing… Anyway… all I did was sleep, (try) to eat, and read.  I literally did not move from this couch unless it was… (See above).
Even though I felt like death that had just watched an entire season of ‘The Kardashian’s back to back, I still felt the need to read.  And this is the book that I chose. 

Boyd is smart.  Frightengly smart.  And his books reflect that intelligence.  But if you think that intelligence + books = boring, you couldn’t be more wrong!  In his latest techno-thriller Boyd introduces us to Kevin.  A smart college student who unwittingly helps invent a chemical process that will change the world.  Stop shaking your head!  I know you’ve heard that “this will change the world” schpeel before but this one really will.  Unfortunately his “partner” was less than honest and has caught Kevin up in a very deadly cat and mouse game.  Kevin, of course, does his part and gets other caught in the game as well.  Including a very attractive co-ed by the name of Erica.

These two must use their wits, humor, luck, and some slick scientific magic to get out of some pretty impossible situations.  As with all of Boyd’s novels, we meet some pretty nasty bad guys.  Bad guys who kill as easily as I eat a cheeseburger.  Thankfully these guys aren’t as bad as, say ‘The Vault’.  Still, their methods of capture and kill are pretty harsh.  Harsh.  Sorry I couldn’t come up with a better word but I hope you get the picture.  I appreciate Boyd as an author because he writes books that simply beg to be read.

There are a few times in here where I had to laugh because I had the same reaction as Erica when Kevin was trying to explain the diamond making process.  “Huh”?  It played very well within the story but I did find myself reading those passages over and over again to see if I could understand even a tenth of what the hell Kevin was talking about.  “Molecular fragmentation of C60 through a microwave discharge resulting in chemical vapor deposition of carbon”.  Yeah… ummm Imma have to play blonde on that one McFly.  In spite of my ignorance of C60 and super conductivity, I had (another) blast reading Boyd’s latest work.

9781439189573

1 comment:

  1. Well yes there is a slight air bubble but the picture/ video quality is not enough to notice by the average user; neither is the touch screen responsivity. My sister is a very responsible non clumsy person and she has an otter box, and for the everyday user it is a great choice. However, I am a very extreme person who likes to take my phone with me everywhere. I completely shattered my first iPhone. I take it biking, running, put in my sports bra, in the shower, in the pool, essentially everywhere. The air bubble is the smallest price to pay to make my phone Emily proof. So for people like me who impressively damage phones there is no other choice but the lifeproof. For average, everyday users the otter box is a great choice, my sister and many of my friends have used them over and over with no complaints. Also, I bought my case at best buy this receiving their excellent customer service in essence, eighty dollars and a small air bubble is an underwhelming price to pay to save my phone from myself. :) I <3 LP

    ReplyDelete