Saturday, July 28, 2012

'50 Shades of Better'


Let me start off by saying that this is not (necessarily) a bash on 50 Shades of Grey’.  In this day and age with bookstores closing and the ones that are open are more showrooms for toys and electronic tablets than literature, ANY book that can sell thirty million copies is fine with me.  What this short blog will be about are books that I think are better story than ’50 Shades of Grey’.  I think the biggest issue that I have with ’50 Shades’ is that the world has confused popular erotica with good erotica.  There is a world of difference between the two. 

Granted, ’50 Shades’ is EXTREMELY popular (again, thirty million copies) but it really is not that good.  I’ve explained this ad nauseam to my book customers as well as others and I have no desire to go down that road here.  What I will do is give you a list, in no particular order, of erotic books that have made me squirm, that have made me daydream, that have made me fantasize, and that have made me remember them years, sometimes many, many years later.  I hope you find one on this list that you like. 

Note: I’ve added links whenever possible for the authors and if I did a review for the book I added that as well.




‘Fly on The Wall’ by Trista Russell


‘Smooth Operator’ by Risque (the other ones that are very good are ‘Red Light Special’ and ‘The Sweetest Taboo’). 






‘The Black Door’ by Velvet (this is book #1 out of a four book series and they are ALL good!  The other books are ‘Betrayal’, ‘Seduction’, and ‘Naughty’).


‘Sleeping With Strangers’ by Eric Jerome Dickey – (Shut up.  I know he’s on here twice but that’s because he DESERVES to be on here twice!  This is the first book in a four (maybe five) book series that is a full of sex as it is action.)  The other books are ‘Waking With Enemies’, ‘Dying for Revenge’, and ‘Resurrecting Midnight’.

‘Flexin’ & Sexin’ Vol. 1 – Various Authors

‘The Hot Box’ by Zane (… and to be quite honest, you could choose damn near ANY of Zane’s books and be set for a long, long time.)

‘Spanked’ by Rachel Kramer Bussel






‘One Taste’ by Allison Hobbs

*Whew*… OK let’s stop there.  This doesn’t even begin to scratch the erotic surface! This doesn’t even scratch MY surface!  There are so many more books I could add to this list (I barely even touched my erotic anthologies) but if you need more titles (seriously?) then please feel free to ask.  Every one of these books I have read, and every one of these books I have enjoyed.  

There are soooooooooooo many good erotic books out there just waiting to be read.  Your mission should you choose to accept is to find them and read them.  Don’t let your only judge of a book be in the number of people reading it.  I know I know that sounds insane and completely backwards, but after years of being a bookseller/booklover I have come to find that the best seller of a book is a person who has read it.

2 comments:

  1. I like that explanation, popular erotica vs good erotica. I started rolling my eyes about 6 months ago when people starting asking me if I had read the 50 books.

    Awesome list too... I took some notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to laugh over the irony of 50 Shades bringing erotica to the masses maybe, someday they will progress to the books on your list.

    You are right, Eric Jerome Dickey should be on this list several times. his novels are like a favorite dessert, you know you shouldn’t eat the whole thing at once, but you do, then you’re disappointed because there is nothing left, and you want more. His books “have (ALWAYS) made me daydream, (THEY) have made me fantasize, and (THEY) have made me remember them years, sometimes many, many years later.."

    ReplyDelete