Friday, September 14, 2012

'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores' by Jen Campbell


Some things were made to go together. Peanut butter and jelly, steamed crabs and Heineken, rootbeer and vanilla ice cream, me and Zoe Saldana, John Williams and high trumpets, Irish Spring and hot water, and this book and ANYONE who has worked or is working (*ahem*) in a bookstore.

This book (page 38) is a glimpse of just some of the stupid, weird, jaw dropping, sphincter clinching, WTF, and "you gotta be kidding me" questions and comments that bookseller go through on a daily basis. Let me repeat that... on a daily basis. In my eight hour shift there is always one person who makes me wonder if their parents are brother and sister.  I keep a copy of this on our front counter for two reasons. 1. To read when I should be working and 2. Hand selling books don't come any easier than this.

As I alluded to earlier, this book is perfect for book sellers, book lovers, people who love book lovers, and more importantly, people who are looking for that perfect book to get that impossible to buy for bibliophile. (page 38) Christmas is coming and aside from a gift card from their favorite indie bookstore, or a hammock on an island next to a stack of books, this book is the next perfect choice.

This book is broken into chapters each with a different category filled with the comedic absurdity that we call 'work'. Read it. Not all at once though. Share it. Laugh at it. Laugh with it. Take notes to send in for part two. (I have no idea if there will be a part two). If you want more, Jen has a blog and is on Twitter.  

Eight hours later: (in my Spongebob voice) I just checked her blog this morning and she is indeed (page 38) working on a part two!  So if you missed sending in your entry for this one then do not miss #2.   Also, if you are on Twitter then please check out the hashtag #bookstorebingo for more funny and insane bookstore comments. 

Oh… if you’re wondering why I keep putting “page 38”, buy the book and see.  :-)

A few examples of what this book has to offer:

Girl: “Dad, can I have this book for my kids”?
Dad: “You don’t HAVE any kids”!
Girl: “I know, but in case you die I want them to have something from Grandpa”.

HS Girl: “I’m looking for Anti-Gone” by Shakespeare
Me: “Do you mean ‘Antigone’ by Sophocles?
HS Girl: “Yeah, whatever”.

9781468301281

No comments:

Post a Comment