Friday, November 23, 2012

'Blood Gospel' by James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell



I don’t read every James Rollins book, but the ones I have read have been very good.  This one continues that trend.  The previous book I’ve read by James have included an ancient species of man hidden in ice, earth ending secrets hidden in the deep ocean, and DNA secrets hidden in animals, this story is freaking (almost unbelievable).  I say almost because well… almost.  I’m nowhere near being the ideal Christian.  Hell, I’m nowhere near being even a decent Christian (hence me using the word “hell” and Christian in the same sentence).  I do believe in the Bible, God, Jesus, thirty minute church services, hot preacher’s daughters, and all that jazz.  

But that doesn’t mean that I can’t enjoy a story that pretty much takes those beliefs and puts a twist on them that will offend every staunch bible thumper from Texas to Alabama.  Even though you probably know the hidden-in-plain-sight secret of this book, I won’t tell… juuuust in case you don’t.  Let’s see how hard it is to tell you about this book without telling you about this book.

What I can tell you is to expect a ton of action, a ton of blood, a ton of secrets, and a ton of history coupled with his-story.  Rollins… actually I keep saying Rollins when I should be saying James Rollins AND Rebecca Cantrell, heavily use Biblical history as the basis for this story.  They take the familiar stories of Lazarus, Jesus, the Gospels, Judas, silver, St. Peter, and a host of others and put a very unique, very different, yet very plausible spin on it.  Do I believe it?  No.  Did I enjoy it?  Hell yes!  (dammit, there’s that hell again). 
 
Jesus, before he ascended into heaven, apparently wanted to pen a bestseller.  So with that in mind he wrote a gospel in his own blood.  (Yeah, publishers were stingy back then too.)  Needless to say, this book is a source of great power and being such, drives people to extremely cruel measures.  There are a number of pieces to the puzzle of what exactly the “blood gospel” encompasses, and even though this book is almost 500 pages, it flies. 

If you’re in the market for a book that encompasses Biblical history with a healthy dose of imagination and that other hidden-in-plain-sight secret, then this is your baby.  The subject matter will cause some (typical/useless/anticipated/expected) controversy but who cares?  To those that read this review I would love to chat with you once you find/found out the hidden-in-plain-secret.  If indeed you think there really was one. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment