Wednesday, April 24, 2013

'Decadence' by Eric Jerome Dickey

I usually have a review for Eric Jerome Dickey’s new book ready to go on the release date. Matter of fact I’m such a nut that I usually stay up till 12:01 AM and wait for Amazon (ugh) to “release” the hold so that I can post.  I didn’t do that this time.  I couldn’t do that this time.  Why?  Because I'm intimidated.  Why?  Would you ask Britney Spears to critique Patti LaBelle?  Would you ask the YouTube piano cat to critique Mozart?  Would you ask Napoleon Dynamite to critique Alvin Ailey?  No you wouldn’t. See my problem? 

Ah well, it is what it is. I'll move on and hope that I can do a little bit of justice to what is the best book I have read this year. This is a story that is completely and wholly saturated in sex. But the little death  is only the engine to a much bigger vehicle. Nia Simone Bijou is back and well... she's back.  And she's matured. That in and of itself is scary.  She is a woman who is completely and totally 100% sure of what she wants. And what she wants is enough carnal pleasure and universe creating orgasms to make God question if he is indeed its creator.

As per Eric , the title of  this book has as many different meanings as heaven has angels. 'Decadence'.  Can a word define itself?  Ask Nia and she'll define it for you. In deeds, thoughts, and fantasies. But I doubt you'll be ready. I wasn't. If you thought 'Pleasure' was a gumbo of eroticism, you'll swear 'Decadence' is her maternal twin. 

'Decadence' (noun) is an elite club that caters to the sexually free and the sexually athletic. If there was ever a club made for Nia, this would be it. No inhibitions whatsoever and you can choose to be a "watcher" or a "doer". Nia is Gemini to both, but this story becomes lusciously excruciating when she chooses to participate. Even if you don't like certain sexual situations, I defy you to read this and not be... Uummmm... moved. :-)  Nia is every man's and woman's dream and nightmare. How is it she can be both Phobetor and  Morpheus?  Read. Find out.

'Decadence' (adjective, verb) is what Nia and the other club members personify. How much?  Think of an Olympic diver on the platform. Think of the pool filled with caramel. 'Decadence' is what you'll be covered in when you land. Nia indulges in decadent decadence and Eric paints a picture so vividly erotic you could see a blush on Seal.

'Decadence' (adjective) also describes the love affair between Eric and his characters. The language in this book is simply... beautiful. When you read this story do so with a highlighter. (and Google Maps). If you use an eReader it will be as colorful as Lucky Charms. The sexuality between the characters is second to none, but the sensuality of the words have a sultriness all their own.  Eric is probably the only writer who will make you want to use your tongue both for sex and soliloquy. In the same damn sentence. Come for the sex, stay for the pillow talk.

Now... let me get serious for a moment.  I'm a fan of Eric's because he is simply the best writer I know. I say that with 100% sincerity. But even I wasn't ready for this... page 333 until page 340 is the best writing Eric has ever done. And I'm not kidding. I'm seriously getting chills as I write this and reread that. The words are so pure in nature and so honest in their delivery that those seven pages will literally make you shake. It will make you put the book down. It will make you speed readers become slow readers and you slow readers become Medusa's lover's. Saying that time stopped would be a little too much, but saying that those seven pages made everything else not matter, isn't. 

I've said it before but Eric is simply, tha' man. He writes, we read. He dreams, we voyeur. He travels, we experience. He quits, we die. (OK I admit that last one was a bit melodramatic but I trust I made my point). Nia Simone Bijou. Nia Simone Bijou. Nia Simone Bijou. I wonder if I say her name three times in a mirror will she come to life...?


9780525953838

1 comment:

  1. "lusciously excruciating" could've have said it better myself! Awesome review sir. Bravo

    ReplyDelete