Sunday, May 18, 2014

'Black Lotus' by K'wan

A few months ago I was watching an interview with K’wan (I think it was TVONE… you know… the place where Black life unfolds?) and he said something to the effect of “I don’t mind being called a street writer but I think being called a crime writer is what best describes me.”

And that’s what this book is. Crime-fiction.

Savage crime-fiction. The prologue sets the stage, and if you aren’t ready or haven’t read one of K’wan’s books yet… consider this your warning. ‘Black Lotus’ is the story of revenge. Who is doing it and for what reason is the meat for this book. It took me all of one second to like Lone Wolf. That’s not the name is mama gave him but it is the name he goes by.

Wolf is a renegade cop who does things his way. The man gets results but he usually ends up pissing everyone off in the process. That’s fine with him because he prefers working alone and doesn’t suffer fools easily. Confrontation is his aphrodisiac and he has the appetite of a nymph.

But what IS this case? What does the Black Lotus want? Wolf works narcotics, so why was he pulled into a homicide investigation? Maybe… because of the crimes themselves. There are few immoralities worse than the sexual abuse of a child, and most of us are powerless to do anything about it except rely on the inept and incompetent court system.

But what if you didn’t have to wait? What if you had the power, the means, and the murderous purpose to make it so? Would you do it? Someone is and they mete out punishment that is bloody, ferocious, cold-blooded, and final. I know I should have been rooting for the good guys, but… well… I think in order for me to do that, I first have to determine who the good guys are!


K’wan writes a story that reads very fast and very entertaining. I was halfway done before I realized I was halfway done. It’s a shame that not enough people know about K’wan. But if he keeps writing like this, that will change.

1 comment: