Tuesday, January 12, 2016

'Jettisoned' by Sam Barone

It’s been quite a while since I’ve read anything from Sam Barone. I was a huge fan of his ‘Eskkar’ series since book #1 and I eagerly snatched up anything bearing the names Barone and Eskkar. I’ve seen ‘Jettisoned’ online for a while but I never read it because I’m not a big sci-fi fan. Even just a little bit of that stuff and I avoid it like ‘The Walking Dead’ cast does soap. However… I just finished one book and was in a weird place so I decided set aside my misgivings about space stories to give this one a shot. 

I’m glad I did.

I will say that this book was definitely written with the lover of sci-fi genre in mind. Sam was very descriptive in the workings of ‘Lady Drake’, space walks, fuel, and gravities. I’m sure the folks that enjoy reading this sort of stuff would love it, I did not. What I DID love was the story. And oh how did I want to hear more about Captain Camenson! A barbaric, sadistic man who took what he wanted. Women, lives, it didn’t matter. And neither did consent. 

The crew has a mission and they are at the end of that mission, but the caption and his band of ruthless merry-men have a side mission… one of their own. And anyone that gets in the way of that gets… well… dealt with. Thank you Sam by the way in describing what happens when a naked body is shoved into space. Not sure when I’ll get that vision out of my head!

Throughout ‘Jettisoned’ I was rooting for Peter, but I really wanted to see what Captain Mean-as-hell would do next. Rules were in place but… I mean they WERE about 365 million miles from Earth. The cat and mouse chase in space was very entertaining and had good pace for a short-story. I did shake my head a few times at Peter because he made some exceedingly stupid decisions. One in particular made me yell, “GET OFF THE SHIP STUPID!!”, at my eReader

So yeah… even though this sort of read “wasn’t my thing”, I was able to set that aside and enjoy the writing and story telling of Mr. Barone. The fact that I want to read the sequel (whenever you want to put that out SAM!) proves that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment