Friday, February 19, 2016

'Steve Jobs'

Whenever I read a critique of anything having to do with Apple or Steve Jobs I immediately wonder two things: 1. Does this person hate Apple and/or Steve Jobs or 2. Does this person love Apple and/or Steve Jobs. Most people fall into one of those categories. Those who say they are indifferent are fucking lying. When this movie came out I heard all kinds of chatter. “I hate it, I love it, Steve’s widow hates it, Woz said he never said that, Eddie’s gonna kick somebody’s ass, Steve Jobs ghost will haunt Michael Fassbender until the end days…” It was endless! 

All I wanted to know was “was this movie good?” That’s it, that’s all. You can have your battles in the public forum all you wish, just do me a favor and answer me one simple ass question Mr. Summa Cum Laude of Useless Opinion University,  “Was. This. A. Good. Movie?” Let me answer that for you.

Yes. It. Was. 

And I’m not speaking as an admitted and unapologetic Apple fanatic either. I’m speaking as a person who loves and appreciates writing, acting, and art. And to me, that’s what this film was. As a reader I appreciate how an author crafts their words and uses them to meld me into the story. This movie was written with that level of passion. You could see it as well as feel it. Every film, every book, every album has that moment that is THE moment. That moment that tips you over from really liking it to pure damn infatuation. For me, in this film, it was when Fassbender and Daniels (Jobs and Scully) were having their fight(s) and flashbacks. I literally sat up and leaned into the TV so I wouldn’t miss it. Like somehow my body was going to absorb the power coming from those scenes. I’m telling you, if you haven’t seen this movie then make plans to see it and then watch out for that sequence. 

It was clear that this was a well written movie and THAT’S what I loved about it. Sure you can argue back and forth if everything in the movie was real or not, knock yourselves out. But I appreciated meal, not the ingredients. I guess that sorta makes sense. 

I also wasn’t sure how I would like the format this was filmed, but it’s clear that Sorkin and Boyle knew exactly what they were doing. Because it worked. I was so caught up with this movie that I wasn’t paying attention when it would end. When it did I was pissed. (Not really) but inside I was having a “awwwwwww I want more” temper tantrum. Is this movie worth seeing? Damn right. Is this movie 100% accurate? Who gives a crap? Does Michelangelo’s David having micro-junk make it less of a masterpiece? You and I both know damn well that dogs don’t play poker, but does knowing that make that often copied painting less of a cultural art icon? No. Then neither should this. Sorry for comparing a 2015 film to art that has spanned centuries, but I hope you catch my drift. Granted, Boyle and Sorkin had a magnificent person from which to build a film, but as we’ve seen from other Steve Job films, having an icon isn’t enough. 


It takes something else, and this film definitely had something else. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jason,

    I got your email from Google. I have recently published my novel Happy Go Lucky on Amazon. This book is a work of fiction about a guy. It spans a major part of his life and deals mainly with the women in his life. The book is humorous in parts, romantic at times. Gritty romance. There is action. And if I dare say, it also studies human nature. Hope I was successful in conveying the layers I visualized.

    I am based in Bangalore, India and I just needed to tell this tale. After working all my life for others, I have started a venture of my own. I have an e-commerce setup that sources and sell big plus size clothes and accessories. I am 1966 born.

    The blurb: When he was born, the stars aligned in such a way that people said it will bring him good luck. Sadly, it didn’t help the fellow one bit. What helped him was his honest face, his ‘spade is a spade’ attitude. His ability to start all over again. And his appetite. For life.
    And that stubborn nature. Tell him you can’t do it. He will do it. Is our hero as dynamic as Indiana Jones? Or is he like Don Quixote? One thing. He didn’t shy away. Is the story inspiring? Is it romantic? Is it sexy? Does it have dishum dishum? Does it have comic relief? Is it a roller-coaster ride?

    Do let me know if I can send you an eBook. Read it. And hope you review it.


    Hemant Singh
    hguy1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete